Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Public Services

Dept of Treasury badge

Department of Treasury

U.S. Federal Taxes (IRS)

U.S. citizens or resident aliens living or traveling outside of the United States are generally required to file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns and pay estimated tax in the same way as those residing in the United States. Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file a return. For more information on U.S. tax issues, please consult the IRS web site. You can find additional information for taxpayers residing overseas at the IRS’s International Taxpayer Site

United States Taxes Preparers in Colombia

U.S. State Tax Information

The American Citizen Services does not have state tax forms. For your convenience, we list the states' tax web sites below.

Tax Information

  • The Internal Revenue Service will host a webinar on “Overseas Filing for U.S. Taxpayers” on June 29, 2016, from 2:00-3:00 p.m EDT.  To register and attend this webinar, use the Overseas Filing for US Taxpayers webinar link. Attendees should log in 10 minutes prior to the start time.  The session will be recorded and made available at a later time on


    In order to obtain specific information about tax filing guidance for U.S. taxpayers living abroad please visit the Federal Benefits and Obligations page on For further information, please contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center at 267-941-1000 (not toll-free).

    Unfortunately, U.S. embassies and consulates can only mail tax returns on behalf of U.S. taxpayers under very specific circumstances.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.