The American Citizens Services Unit in Bogota provides U.S. Federal Benefits assistance to persons residing in Colombia. No federal benefits assistance is available at the U.S. Consular Agency in Barranquilla.
American Citizen Services - Federal Benefits Unit
Cra. 45, No. 24B 27.
Tel: (1) 2752-000, (1) 275-4900 Monday through Thursday from 10:00 to 11:00.
As of January 1, 2009, the Federal Benefits Unit operates on an appointments-only system. To schedule an appointment or to obtain information, please send an e-mail to FBUBogota@state.gov or call(1) 275-2000, (1) 275-4900 Monday through Thursday from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. Please have ready your Social Security claim number, bank account (if) applies, contact information and any correspondence from the SSA.
The Federal Benefits Unit provides assistance with Social Security, Veterans, Civil Service and Railroad Retirement benefits, including the following:
- Provide forms and information related to filing Social Security claims for retirement, auxiliary, survivor’s and disability benefits.
- Beneficiary status changes transactions (i.e. notice of changes of address, non-receipt of payment, etc.)
- Assistance with a variety of post-entitlement actions including enforcement questionnaires, school certificates, overpayment refunds, continued disability reports, etc.
- Medicare enrollments and cancellations.
- Applications for Social Security Numbers and requests for Social Security card replacement.
- Issue letters certifying that you are receiving benefits.
- Accept reports of the death of a benedficiary.
You are encouraged to visit the following federal benefits agencies’ websites for online information:
- Social Security Administration
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- VA Foreign Medical Program
- Office of Personnel Management
- Railroad Retirement Board
Direct deposit of federal benefits in Colombia:
It is now possible to receive Social Security benefits electronically to a bank account in Colombia. The only bank which we can currently transfer benefits is:
If you have an individual account in Bancolombia, you may use the sign up form to request enrollment. This form is available at the bank.