Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Births Abroad

Documenting your Colombian-born Child as a U.S Citizen

The birth of a child abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship. A CRBA application can only be processed in the American Citizen Services Unit in the country where the child was born while the child is under age 18. To qualify, at least one of the parents must have been a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth and must meet U.S. physical presence requirements.

For children born to two U.S. citizen married parents, one of the parents must demonstrate residence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth. For children born after November 13, 1986 to a US citizen parent married to a non-US citizen parent, the U.S. citizen parent must have resided in the United States at least for 5 years (at least two years after the age of 14) before the child was born. Requirements for children born at other times or to unmarried parents are described here.


Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only for the U.S. Embassy in Bogota or the U.S. Consular Agency in Barranquilla. Please print out and review the document requirements found here before making an appointment. To make an online appointment in Bogotá click here. You will need to bring the document's checklist with you on the day of the interview. 

If you would prefer to apply at the U.S. Consular Agency in Barranquilla, please click here for the Consular Agency's location and hours.


 At the time of the appointment, the parents and  child must appear in person and present the following:

  1. Form DS-2029 (Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad) completed but not signed
  2. Non-refundable Application fee of $100 USD. Fees are payable in cash (U.S. dollars or Colombian pesos) or by credit card at the U.S. Embassy or Consular Agency. Checks and debit cards are not accepted.
  3. Parent(s)’ proof of identity and citizenship (original and two photocopies, e.g. two copies of photo page of passport(s); cédula or driver license, the originals will be returned)
  4. Child’s Colombian birth certificate (original and two notarized copies)
  5. Proof of physical presence of the U.S. citizen parent(s) in the United States sufficient to demonstrate the required time period  (may include school transcripts, tax records, pay slips, lease agreements, passport stamps, Colombian entry/departure records, etc.)
  6. Parents’ Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s):
    • If parents are married, please provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate. 
    • If the parents were not married to each other at the time of child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time.
    Regardless of whether the parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s conception and birth, both parents should also provide divorce or annulment certificates for any prior marriages.
    •If one parent has sole custody, please provide the custody order.

Other Recommended Documents:

  • Both parents and the child must be present for the CRBA appointment in order to help establish the biological relationship.  If one or both parents cannot attend the interview, in some cases, consular officers may request DNA evidence to prove the biological relationship, a costly and time-consuming process. Absent parents should please fill form 3053 (Statement of Consent). Note: parent can also submit their own written notarized consent, in English. If neither of the parents will be present at the interview, each parent must present the original notarized consent DS-3053 and a signed written letter authorizing a specific adult to complete the application process for U.S. Citizenship for the minor.
  • Proof of relationship between parents and child (may include family photos before, during, and after the pregnancy; money/wire transfer receipts; hospital records; Colombian migration report; etc.) *DO NOT MAIL – BRING TO INTERVIEW*
  • Social Security Earnings Report for U.S. Citizen parent
  • Colombia Migration Report for both parents

    Passport Application
    The Embassy encourages applicants to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time, because Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not a travel document. A passport application (requiring a completed but not signed DS-11 form with one 5 cm x 5 cm photo with a white background as well as an additional fee of $105) for the same child will be accepted at the CRBA appointment (no need to make an additional appointment). Please click here for more information about passport application for minors under the age of 16. 

    Social Security Number Application

    The Embassy also encourages parents to apply for their child’s Social Security card at the same time as applying for their child’s first passport.  Please complete Form SS-5 (Application for Social Security number) prior to the interview and turn it in at that time. Since a copy of the child’s passport is required to support the application, we will keep the application and add a copy of the passport once the passport is received from the U.S. and then send off the complete application package to the Social Security Administration.

    Note that the anticipated timeline for receiving the child’s social security card is 6-8 months.  Note that the issued Social Security Card is mailed to the address you list on the SS-5 application. If you have an address in the US, please list it on the application to ensure efficient delivery.


    • The American Citizen Services office will be closed on Friday June 24th. We will resume normal service hours on Monday June 27th.

    ACS Calendar

    • Please click here to review the American Citizens Service Office's holiday schedule 

    Visiting and Contacting

    Adobe Reader

    • Download Free
      Download Free
      All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.