The Economic Section (ECON) supports bilateral economic relations between the United States and Colombia in areas such as macroeconomics, trade, energy, telecommunications, finance, intellectual property rights, environment, labor, civil aviation, transportation, science and technology, combating terrorist financing, economic development, and infrastructure.
The office is responsible for monitoring and reporting on developments in the Colombian economy and developing opportunities for the evolving bilateral economic relationship.
ECON has lead responsibility in the Embassy for coordinating efforts to support compliance with the Colombia-U.S. Trade Promotion Agreement (CTPA or, as some refer to it, Free Trade Agreement or FTA).
Finally, in conjunction with the United States Foreign Commercial Service, ECON assists U.S. businesses interested in investment and trade opportunities in Colombia and local companies interested in doing business in the United States.
• Compliance with the Colombia-U.S. Trade Promotion Agreement (CTPA).
• Increase U.S. exports to and investment in Colombia as well as increase Colombian investment in the U.S.
• Continue coordination, monitoring, and growth of bilateral trade.
• Increase energy cooperation, including a strengthened Colombian regulatory framework and capacity for the sustainable development of unconventional energy resources.
• Improve respect for Intellectual Property Rights (IPR).
• Continue coordination to advance joint environmental efforts.
• Strengthen efforts to combat money laundering and terrorist financing.
• Compliance with the U.S.-Colombia Labor Action Plan (LAP).
• Shared leadership on Pathways to Prosperity in the Americas initiatives.
• Enhance collaboration in science, technology, and innovation.
-Laura Lochman, Counselor for Economic Affairs.
The Direct Line for American Business program connects U.S. businesses with American Ambassadors and U.S. mission personnel overseas, making you part of our “country team.” You will get up-to-the minute information on markets vital to your business, and learn about new sectors and tenders to help you expand your business.
One of President Obama’s signature initiatives to spur economic growth as home is SelectUSA, a program to attract and facilitate job-creating investment in the United States.