Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Births Abroad

Proof of Physical Presence

Applicants must present proof that one or both of their parents were present in the United States for the required amount of time prior to the birth of the child. If you have questions about whether you meet the physical presence requirements, please see our web page “Is Your Child A U.S. Citizen ?”

Evidence may include tax records, (including W-2 forms and social security statements); passports, pay stubs or other evidence of employment; photos; school transcripts or apartment leases.

These are suggestions, and you are encouraged to submit all available documentary proof.